Friday, November 2, 2012

Return - On the Day of the Dead!

Beautiful dia de los muertos mask available on Etsy here.
 
How befitting that we return to blogging on the 'Day of the Dead'. [Perhaps we are like the legendary phoenix? Rising from the ashes???]
 
Wikipedia gives us this description of this  holiday:
 
"Day of the Dead (Spanish: Día de los Muertos) is a Mexican holiday celebrated throughout Mexico and around the world in other cultures. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. It is particularly celebrated in Mexico, where it is a national holiday, and all banks are closed. The celebration takes place on November 1 and 2, in connection with the Catholic holidays of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day. Traditions connected with the holiday include building private altars honoring the deceased using sugar skulls, marigolds, and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed and visiting graves with these as gifts. They also leave possessions of the deceased.
Scholars trace the origins of the modern Mexican holiday to indigenous observances dating back hundreds of years and to an Aztec festival dedicated to the goddess Mictecacihuatl. The holiday has spread throughout the world: In Brazil, Dia de Finados is a public holiday that many Brazilians celebrate by visiting cemeteries and churches. In Spain, there are festivals and parades, and, at the end of the day, people gather at cemeteries and pray for their dead loved ones. Similar observances occur elsewhere in Europe, and similarly themed celebrations appear in many Asian and African cultures."

As you can see....we are once more back on a computer. This time on our own computer, and not a borrowed one! A full-size keyboard, and with enough speed and RAM to keep us going for quite some time!

Are we happy?

Yes we are!!!

[Anybody else just get that 'Bob the Builder' feeling????]

Although we haven't been keeping track of our eats [intake, or weight], we haven't gone overboard either. [How did I slip into the third person? I hate reading when someone else does that, so why did I? I have no idea!!!]

For the next two days, we will be talking about things we are doing. Crafts. Writing, etc. And on Sunday, we will once more get back into journaling our food. [Don't expect me to begin Sunday's food journaling with a bang however! I'm still a kid at heart, and Sunday is my birthday! I'm having a birthday meal and cake!!! - Even if I have to make it all myself! LOL]

After all, folks, we are all about LIVING. And living isn't always about diets, and walking the line. Sometimes we have to eat to enjoy ourselves. And sometimes we have to get away from the norm to simply enjoy our lives!

It's been fun not getting on the computer as much for a week. Simply relaxing and crafting. Reading. I've got a lot of things worked on!

How about you????

Before I go, I simply have to do three little things for the day........

I'm sending out three HUGE HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISHES!!!

Happy Birthday to our beautiful granddaughter, Amber!
We love you sweetie!
 
 

Happy Birthday to our son, David!
[Seeing my kids at this age.... I feel so old!!!]
I miss you so much David!!!!!
I hope your day is perfect!
 
And to David's beautiful twin, our daughter, Debbie!

I miss you, sweet girl!!!!
I hope you can get home soon for another visit!!!
 
 
Let's meet back here tomorrow, my friends. Where we will discuss, of all things....crocheted icicles for your Christmas tree!
 
Have a good day everyone!


1 comment:

  1. I write and maintain a blog which I have entitled “Accordingtothebook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it. I’m your newest follower.

    I didn’t see a follow wedgit on this site, but if you put one up...I will gladly follow you publicly as well.
    If you wish, click on “dashboard” on the top right of you main blog…then click on “layout” on the left side of the page, “add a gadget” on the right side column…scroll down and click on “Follow” widget and follow directions.

    ReplyDelete